Monday, April 9, 2012

Cavemen Have Busy Lives...Stay ahead of the game.


When changing your lifestyle to Paleo, preparation is key.  If you're like me, you have a job to go to and a family to care for.  The kids have after school activities and the boss needs you to stay late again for whatever reason.  In this day and age, time is very important.  Because we eat our veggies fresh or steamed and our lean meats grilled or baked, we have somewhat of an advantage in overcoming time issues.  Here are a few pointers I have picked up in the past 21 days.

Pick a Day and Cook Away
Sunday is my day to prepare my lunch for the week.  I cook about ten pounds of chicken in the oven with some sea salt and crushed garlic (an Italian herb blend tastes great as well) and that gets me and my partner through the week.  I purchase the 10lb bag of frozen because it comes in 5oz servings and it's cheaper than organic. Organic is better for you but can get pricey.  I choose chicken for lunch because it's the most versatile meat and it goes from frozen to cooked in about 35 minutes.  I can pair it with a bag of steamable broccoli and cauliflower or I can throw it in a green salad.  Add a bit of salsa (no sugar added) and you've got yourself a tasty lunch idea.  It's quick and it's easy.  Best of all, I'm not breaking the bank by going to a restaurant and ordering something that I'm not even sure is authentic.  Therefore, creating a fatter pocketbook, while my waistline gets leaner.  WIN!


Fruit Cups are Your Friend
 
Get yourself a good set of storage containers with cup sizes included.  Trust me...this will be the best investment you will make during this transition.  I use my containers for most everything.  But I use them the most to make fruit cups.  I love to combine different fruits, nuts and vegetables to make interesting and tasty snacks.  I've tried everything from mixed berry cups (strawberry, blackberry, blueberry) to mixed fruit and veggies (cucumber, strawberry, blueberry).  The combinations are endless!  Make your fruit and veggie cups the same day you prepare your lunch for the week.  Hint:  If you get bored with plain ole fruit you can throw them into a saucepan with some walnuts and a pinch of cinnamon and water for a few minutes.

Eat Like a Rabbit
When I open my refrigerator the first thing I see is a container full of green salad.  I eat green salad before lunch and dinner everyday.  I can eat as much of it as I want and it helps to pre-fill my belly before I partake in the main course.  This is my way of maintaining portion control.  If I fill my stomach half full of green salad then I won't overeat and I'll feel full and satisfied quicker and for a longer period of time.  A typical green salad for me consists of:  romaine lettuce, tomatoes, celery, red onion, cucumber, and bell pepper (purple cabbage makes a great addition also).  A green salad will last up to four days in my refrigerator.  I always finish it in two days, so it has never been an issue.  I make my own delicious vinaigrette to drizzle over the top.


Shake it Up for Breakfast
A typical morning around my house goes something like this.  Wake around 6am, start a pot of coffee and begin breakfast before trotting of to CrossFit around 7:30am.  It's not always easy to stop long enough to scramble eggs (although I do manage from time to time).  Never fear, there is a solution to this problem.  I've learned to love my blender.  Before I started on this journey, my blender sat on a shelf in the pantry collecting dust.  Today, it's a staple in my kitchen appliances and allows me to get extremely creative with my fruits and veggies.  Try different combinations of fruits and veggies just like with the fruit cups.  Add a serving of unsweetened almond milk and a couple of tablespoons of almond butter along with a cup or so of ice and you have a great way to start your day.  Just make sure you don't wake everyone else in the house.







No comments:

Post a Comment